Packing the dining room
Packing up your house ready for a move can be one of the most stressful experiences you'll ever have. So SureStore Self Storage have put together a comprehensive guide to each room in your house to take the guesswork out of packing.
The dining room is the one room where families spend most time together. Modern families function with very separate lives but at meal times the clatter of cutlery and insight into everyone's day can be heard in dining rooms across the country.
The dining room isn't the most difficult of rooms you'll be faced with packing but it is home to a mix of larger items and fragile, delicate items.
- For dining room tables, remove all the legs, wrap them individually and then tie them together. Nuts and bolts should be secured in a bag and taped to the underside of the table top. A sheet should then be used to cover the table top.
- Chair legs and arms should all be wrapped to prevent them from becoming scratched. Armless chairs can be put together seat to seat and then tied together to save space.
- Wrap all glasses and tableware separately using tissue paper making sure you tuck it into every possible part. Use plenty of layers and then finish it off with wrapping paper or newspaper before putting them into a box clearly labelled with "THIS WAY UP - FRAGILE". You can buy boxes specifically made for ornaments if you want to be extra careful when moving them.
- Flat tableware such as plates and be wrapped in tissue and then paper before being stacked on top of one another and bundled again with more wrapping paper. Place each bundle into a suitable sized box. Separate each bundle with card or further padding.
- With mugs and cups ensure handles are wrapped first very carefully with tissue before wrapping the main part of the cup. Finish with wrapping paper and then pack into boxes but do not pack too many into a single box.
- Silver items should be completely covered in bubble wrap and paper to stop them from being scratched or blemished.
- Even if silverware and cutlery is in a presentation box then fill all empty space with tissue to avoid them from moving within their chest. The box can then be wrapped in a cloth or towel.
Please note that while we offer general packing advice on these pages, SureStore is not liable for any loss or damage to goods stored and you should ensure you obtain your own contents insurance. Terms and conditions are available on request.
To help ensure a smooth, stress free move SureStore Self Storage offer great value personal storage rooms with flexible contracts on a range of different sized self storage units in the Peterborough, Stamford, Bourne and Deepings areas.